Sunday, June 24, 2012

My Kitchen Chronicles : Pininyahang Manok

Last week, a co-worker of mine had pininyahang manok (pineapple chicken) for baon. And today I remembered I still have chicken thighs in the freezer.

Pininyahang manok has always been one of my favorite dishes - it's one of my mom's specialties. (I miss you mama!) And today, I decided to give it a try. I found a recipe from Panlasang Pinoy - which has always been one of my references when I feel like cooking Pinoy food.

I halved the ingredients listed in PP's recipe because (1) my husband is a vegetarian, and (2) I only have 4chicken thighs. Below is an image of the ingredients I've used. Patis is not shown in the image.



































                    I followed PP's instructions to a T. And below is an image of the steps. :)






I am pretty satisfied with the dish, but I would do the following changes on my next attempt:

1) Be more careful. I cut my pinky when I was opening the canned pineapple chunks.
2) I would use a bigger pan. It may not be obvious in the pictures but the pan I used is filled to the brim. So, it was hard to stir.
3) I would use green bell peppers to make the dish more colorful.
4) I would add more pineapple. :)
5) I would remove some of the chicken skin for less fat. :)

That's all for now. Time for more karaoke! :)
Happy eating! :)


2 comments:

WSY : What say you? :)